Monday, August 25, 2008

Chandelier Project

I linked up with Joy's Paint Party, but forgot to add her link in my post. I am not getting geekier (well, I was upset that SG1 was interrupted in for weather (Fay) reports yesterday) or anything like that. I am just trying to get more organized by writing my posts a few days ahead and scheduling them. Here is a link to Joy's Place. She is great with paint! And check out all the links, they are also great/masters of decorating on a dime with spray paint!!!

I have been looking for a new chandelier for my foyer for a long time. Looked every where. Let's just say, I have champagne taste on a beer budget. Furthermore, I would find these bargains. Beautiful, perfect in every way... except for the color or the size... Well, size I could not do anything about. The one hanging here is original to the house. Holds 3-25 watt bulbs and puts out no light. Is a bear to change a bulb, or clean.


But fellow bloggers, you have inspired me! Last week, I went shopping. I found a chandelier on clearance, perfect in every way.... except for color. (I never thought about doing this before blogging.) I was asking the sales man about the sales price of the fixture, and I said, "Well, it's not the right color... I know what! I can spray paint it!!!" Then I said, "Can I bring it back if my husband says I cannot keep it?" The man said, "Just don't spray paint it first." I thought, "huh?" I donno. I guess people actually do that. (I mean, buy something, take it home, spray paint it, bring it back for a refund...???!!!???) Sooooooo

$44 bucks later and a can of spray paint (actually I had to go buy some black fussion paint for the cord. The regular was not drying... that could have been b/c of Fay though). And after a little hard work from my sweet DH, I have a beautiful new chandelier hanging from my ceiling in my foyer.

This one little change has really given the foyer a different look. And I am really pleased with the result. This photo is not good. You cannot see the detail of the chandelier. And, BTW, I am not through! I have some more work to do. :D Y'all will just have to check back. ;-)


30 comments:

trish said...

Good Morning,
I came over through The Nesting Place and wanted to say hello. Your chandelier looks very nice! I love the black! I keep looking at our ceiling fans around our home thinking about how I can paint them!
Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Blogger said...

That's really pretty, you did a wonderful job.

I had to laugh about the spray paint and return to the store thing...I bought a ghastly gold and red mosaic glass sort of design...Fleur de Lis wall hanging thing. I brought it home and spray painted it a hammered bronze and I still don't like it, lol. I thought I would like it after I painted it, but I was wrong. But it does look much better than when I bought it ;)

The price tag from Marshall's is still on the back and I have considered returning it, lol ;) I won't, though, but I laugh every time I think about it. I think it just needs a new color maybe...hmmm...

Nice to meet you :)

Bella
PS: You should join Joy's spray painting party today, if you haven't already...the link is on my blog :)

Virginia said...

Great job, and what a bargained. Tha chandelier looks more up to day,and very pretty.
Blessings, Virginia

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Love it! You did a great job, and it is such an improvement! My daughter's house had the exact same light as in your before photo and she hated it too. She ended up putting a very modern pendant light there. I like what you did much better! I'm not really a modern girl at all, but she is. :)

Victoria said...

LOL, I am sure someone somewhere has tried to return something they spray painted!

Chandelier looks great! Your foyer wall looks really pretty too.

tincanlily said...

Great job! I am a big fan of spray paint. It is great for a quick fix, or in your case a great trash to treasure! Thanks for stopping by!
denise

Twice as Nice said...

That light fixture makes a big difference in your foyer. You learn a lot from blogging.

Ashley said...

It looks great! It goes perfectly black.

P.S.You are lucky to have those beautiful windows. I would love all that light.

The Berry's Patch said...

Your new chandelier looks great in your foyer. I love it when a project turns out right. Love those big windows! :-)

Christy Lee said...

Hi, I came over from Kelli's blog and I really like your chandelier! I am always starting projects so I think it's neat to see others. Your chandelier looks wonderful...maybe I should start planning another project!! Have a good day.

Christy Lee

Martha said...

Great job. I would never have tried to do that. Love the foyer.

Joy said...

The nice thing about spray painting is that you now own a custom chandelier, for a clearance price. Isn't that wonderful! It looks beautiful in your foyer--just like you ordered it out of a high end catalog.
Thanks for joining in the party.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Melissa! Yay for you. I've spray painted a few fixtures too & it really changes things. Your old fixture looks just like my old one too. I changed out my foyer & DR chandys a few months ago & it made a HUGE difference in the look of our home too. Good for you!

RHoda

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

Looks great! Love it when these projects work out.

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I really like that--and I like the scroll piece above your door too. Very nice!

~ Sarah

cherry said...

Hello there.....love your transformation on the chandy. Very elegant. I am glad I got to discover your blog today. cherry

Anonymous said...

This looks so wonderful~ what a turn around!!!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Well, you are my kind a woman! I love buying things and making them my own! Great job on the chandie! Also, love the iron piece over the door!
xo
P

B. said...

I too have a chandlier I dont really love.... I paint everything else black... but Im nervous with the chandlier....you have inspired me!

Your house looks similar to mine with the very high celings and the windows.

Marie said...

Your chandelier looks great! What a great big foyer you have! VERY NICE!

Stephanie said...

What a difference! I love the new chandelier!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Great job...I'll be back to see more. Nancy

Tabitha said...

Oh, my, if that outdated one from the first picture had been hanging there, that IS an awesome makeover!! WOW! That one looks like it works perfectly!! Fabulous!

Unknown said...

Hi Missy,
Your new fixture looks great painted black. I have a couple I would like to paint if I can ever find someone to take them down for me!
Diane

Mimi Sue said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. It's so fun meeting new blogging friends. Love your chandelier. I have painted a couple myself and it really makes a difference. Mimi Sue

Darlene said...

The chandelier looks beautiful. Great job!

momof4azkids said...

What a great chandelier rehab...I like you have expensive taste, and have to figure out creative ways to satisfy. I don't mind though...it's FUN!!! Thanks for stopping by.

Carry Grace said...

I love seeing chandeliers painted, yours looks fabulous!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

wow! love the chandelier! What a perfect fit for the space. I love spraypainting chandelier's. I tend to spray them quite often! hehe

taratoons said...

Thanks for stopping by today! You did a great job, too!! It did change the whole look of your foyer!