Monday, October 13, 2008

Project Time! Clipboard...

....tutorial. I am linking this with Just a Girl's I Can Make That Party. Y'all enjoy!


First you want to select the fabric and trim that you want to decorate your clipboard with. You will not need much. Make sure you have enough for the back and to turn up around the edges for 1 1/2". You will need at least 3 inches of extra fabric at the top of the clipboard.


Other supplies that you will need are scissors for fabric, scissors for paper, scrapbook paper and card stock. Clipboard, glue Mod Podge, and we may find we need a few other things as we go along.

Iron the fabric you selected. I rarely prewash, unless the fabric I pick is from my stash & was purchased during my "prewash when I walk thru the door with the new purchase" phase. But you do need to steam out any folds or wrinkles.


Add a few drops of water to your glue. But not too much.


With paint sponge, paint the glue onto the back of the clipboard.


Quickly position your fabric. Before you get to this point, you do need to consider a few things. The design of your fabric, who it is for, etc. This clipboard is for DD's piano teacher. I want to make sure a piano shows on the back. I also like to cut the fabric on the bias. But I do not do a lot of pulling and tugging to the fabric b/c it distorts design.

The diluted glue is forgiving to work with, so if you need to pull it off and do it again, you can. :D Don't do it too much though, clipboards are made of chipboard or something like that....

Using a boning tool or a straight edge (I am using a pencil) quickly rub all the wrinkles and air bubbles out of the fabric.


Clip some of the bulk out of the corners, put some glue around the edge of the clip board and
bring the corners in. Center the corner in first, then miter the rest of the fabric in and trim.

You will need a straight edge blade or zato knife to trim around the clip area.


You will need to get as close as you can. Mod Podge this area. It will keep it from fraying. And if you have any uncovered clipboard at this point, and it bothers you, just get some matching craft paint and cover it. No on will know but you. Then Mod Podge when dry.


I prefer flat embellishments on the back of the clipboard. I have made several. And bumpy stuff anoys me. This is grosgrain ribbon. You can use anything you have on hand.


Another thing to have on hand for this project is fabric glue. It is permanant and will not come off of almost anything so be careful where, when and with who you use it. (Ask me how I know?) Some fabrics and trims have sizing, or are made of polyester that Elmers and mod podge will not work on. Fabric Glue will work and work very well. It is not forgiving. So make sure you use it quickly and know exactly where you want it. No second chances.


While your fabric on your clipboard is drying, select your photos, crop and frame them on scrapbook paper.


After the fabric is dry, add a piece of card stock onto the top of the clipboard by painting the top of the clipboard with more of the slightly diluted glue. You may also have to use a boning tool or pencil to rub out any bubbles, etc.


Crop, glue and frame your photos with scrap booking paper and scrap booking glue. (I prefer the glue over the zots and dots. Zots and dots leave space. You do not want that. Then arrange your photos.

Using mod podge, paste the photos onto the top of the clipboard.


Because my clipboards get a lot of use and abuse, I Mod Podge the front and back. This preserves the photos and if 'stuff' gets onto the fabric, it just brushes off. (I got plaster of paris on one once. Did not realize it until it was dry. Brushed right off!)


Add any other embellishments that you desire. You can really get fancy with these. But I like them more simple. Silk flowers do tend to fall off. I do like to tie fancy yarn and ribbon in the clip portion of the board. They last forever.

Lovely gift for my daughter and for my daughter's piano teacher.

It is really very simple and fun. You can get carried away making them and they really hold up. Y'all make some and if I figure out how to do a Mr. Linky, I will do a Mr. Linky when I get back and we can share. :D

Next week, when I get back from my Smocking Arts Guild Convention, I will do the tutorial on the matching pencil cup.

34 comments:

Joy said...

Great tutorial! I love your clip boards!

Anonymous said...

Well..... if that isn't the cutest little clip board..... you make it look easy..... what a fun gift idea...
HUgs
Linda

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Love it! I am a huge fan of mod-podge! I made decorative keepsake boxes and even added antique baby buttons. I mod-podged over them a couple of times, and they are there forever! It's great stuff!

Darlene said...

Those are GREAT!! Thanks for showing us the tutorial....really, really CUTE!!

Anonymous said...

That is just darling! Great project and you gave such good directions. Thanks for showing us how to do it!

Manuela

Lady Katherine said...

I love your idea for the clipboard. When you get back, I would love to read a post on the smocking. Please?? I wish I were going.

nikkicrumpet said...

What a brilliant idea!!! They are adorable and would make such great gifts! Thanks so much for the tutorial! I'm learning to love mod podge since I came to blogland!

SmilingSally said...

As a former classroom teacher, I can say that this would be a pleasant changed from the note cards given at Christmas time. Thanks for the clear instructions.

Anonymous said...

HI Melissa!! It's so nice to meet you!! What a nice friend you have. I hope he's eating well now that things are settling down a bit. Oh, you are the most creative one. I love what you've done with your clipboard.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Kelli said...

Melissa, this looks like such a fun (and beautiful!) project! Thank you for the step-by-step instructions!
~Kelli

Deb said...

Hi Melissa! What a great project! Yours turned out very nice, I'm sure your daughter's piano teacher will love them. Deb

Tricia said...

I love your fall background. I guess I'm just going to have to come up to Hoover and get you to show me how to change the background on my blog. Loved your post.

Betty said...

What a wonderful gift! Very creative....

Thanks for visiting with me...Betty

Simply Heart And Home said...

That clipboard is adorable. Thank you for showing us! :)

Gina

Rue said...

Hi Melissa :)

Those are really cute! What a great idea for a gift :)

rue

tincanlily said...

That is a great idea, thanks for sharing! I am always looking for new ideas!
Denise

Nancy Rosalina said...

Well, that is fabulous! Great idea! Thanks for showing us how to do it. Nancy

Christie said...

This is a precious project...I will have to give it a try...thanks for the tutorial on how to! Have a great week!
xoxo,
Queenie

Chris said...

Okay. You made this project look too easy. I'm sooo gonna make this! What a great idea with the pictures. Your daughter's teacher will LOVE it!

Chris said...

Okay. You made this look too easy! I'm totally making it. Your daughter's teacher is going to adore it! I wish I could see her open it!

Chris said...

Well, I posted twice. I thought it didn't go through. Duh. So there you go--three comments from me!

Lorie said...

What a great idea to use them to hold your piano music!

Valarie Lea said...

From one Alabama girl to another, Thank You, I loved that tutorial. I think I will be able to actually do this. :)

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

What a great idea and I love it's so personalized!

sandra/tx said...

Great idea. Thanks for the how-to.

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa,
Thanks so much for linking this on Trash to Treasure!

I love this idea...you've done a fantastic job. I can picture a whole grouping of these with family photos displayed!

Gone said...

Clever and beautiful idea!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, a great idea for old clipboards hanging around. We have a few as my dh was a math professor. Gads, I have even sent some to Good Will. You gave very good instructions too. Thank you.

Hugs...Jeanne

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Melissa,

What a cute, clever idea! I'm so glad I hopped over from Diane's. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Happy Tuesday!

Sheila

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Oh! What a clever idea! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

Tamara Jansen said...

Great idea! I could do this for the guys in the greenhouse so no one steals their clipboards.....and they can look very stylish at the same time :)

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Those are lovely! I've always wanted to try that, but didn't know where to start. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Gina M. said...

Do you think this would work with a plastic clipboard?

Missy Wertz said...

Gina, I have never tried it with a plastic clipboard. You could try it and see how it works. You may have to use a different type of glue. I am not sure that Elmers will hold to plastic very well. But there are other kinds of glue that will.