Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Nice Casual Table Setting & Turkey Post Roast

I am doing one of those double post thingys.  Very nice since these two are so close together. :-)

Thanks you Susan with Between Naps on the Porch for hosting TableScape Thursday every week.

And thanks to Gollum with Designs by Gollum for hosting Foodie Friday every Friday!  
Please click on these links to to go these ladies blogs and see all the wonderful tables and food.  A site to behold indeed!  Many many ideas as well.  Now for my post. ;-)


I wanted some plain dishes that I could use and mix and match as needed. And I need a 6 piece place setting. I found that set at... Big Lots! Actually that was 5 months ago. I found them onsale, 30+ piece set on sale for $19.99. At that price, I could use them once and donate them! It came with a serving platter and a large serving bowl, 6 of each: coffee cups, dinner plates, salad/luncheon plates, soup bowl and ....


Cereal Bowl. Yep, 6 (one was broken) honk'in big cereal bowls! 3 heaping cups of cheerios in the bowl! Can you say "Portions?" LOL!
I kept two of the bowls and I use them for serving bowls. :D they are a perfect size!




I love the creamy colour and how it stacks so well on the table.

                     I can mix and match anything with it. I love my fall napkins with the dishes.
 

The turkey plate looks great! The dinner plate almost looks like a charger.



Speaking of turkey....
Foodie Friday's menu is:
Turkey Post Roast
Kale
I started out with a 4lb boneless turkey breast. Any brand or size will do. If you have one of those really large crock pots, you can do a whole turkey.

As usual, I rarely measure anything. Just pour or shake until it looks right.
Or until my nose starts burning...  I did use about 1/2 c of white cooking wine, 2 T of olive oil.

I chopped up some potatoes and carrots to cook with the turkey. You can add onion and celery, mushrooms, what ever your family will normally eat with a pot roast.

Put it all in a crock pot and let it cook all day.

Kale:
Wash kale very well and chop. Place in pot with a tad of salt, 3 cut winter onion, pepper, minced garlic, ham if you have it on hand.

Bring to a boil and turn heat down to a simmer. Cook until tender then add a tad of olive oil.

UMMMMMM UMMMMM !  this stuff is good!
Tender and juicy! Just plate it up and watch it disappear.




My family loves turkey cooked this way and I never throw any of it out.  We often have leftovers for 2-3 meals.  The turkey will also make wonderful sandwiches, if you have enough left over.  It is very good!!! And anything that my family will eat, will make me happy to cook.  You can put this in the crock for the day and supper ready that night!

Thanks for stopping by!  Be sure to go by Susan's blog Between Naps on the Porch to see more tablescapes or to participate in Table scape Thursday.
Then go by Gollums bog Designs By Gollum to see for food and recipes!  Thank you ladies for hosting!.

15 comments:

susan said...

Ahhh..the famous Gibson plates?? I have never cooked kale. We love mustard and collard greens and I bet it is similar. Your meal looks like perfect comfort food!

food with style said...

wonderful pics!

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

I "inherited" a set of 4 coffee cups with matching "cereal" bowls that size when my grandmother died this past summer. They aren't collectible or anything. I just liked them so I was the one that got them. My girls keep trying to serve soup in them. I tell them they are too big and deep for soup. And you're right, they are gianormous for cereal! I think I will reserve them for serving bowls, too. Each of mine is a different pastel color.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a great way to cook a turkey breast! Everything looks wonderful!

Sue said...

I've never done turkey in the crockpot...I'll have to try it, I'm sure it keeps it so moist. I love white/cream dishes...they do mix and match with everything!

Sue

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Great photos! Yum!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks like a really wonderful meal. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Unknown said...

What a WONDERFUL!!! family meal.
Geri

Gabrielle Mader said...

looks good, I'll have to try that. esp. the good deals on turkey this week. I love your Turkey plates.

Darlene said...

Your table setting is beautiful and the menu sounds delicious!!! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving week.♥

SmilingSally said...

Yum, Missy, I'll bet you're a good cook! Happy Thanksgiving.

Fifi Flowers said...

Hope you had a FAB Thanksgiving!

SmilingSally said...

I love that blue turkey plate!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tablescape! I am partially to white dishes of any kind and I love how you mixed them with the blue. Your napkins are very pretty too.

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I love the turkey roast, but those turkey plates are gorgeous!!!!