Friday, March 13, 2009

Foodie Friday~Turnip Green Soup


I hope it is not too late to participate! Thank you Gollum (of Designs by Gollum) for hosting Foodie Friday. It looks like much fun!

There is a wet chill in the air here in the South and I had to make some soup. We love Turnip Green Soup. Yum Yum!



~Recipe~
  • Beef Sausage -fried (I usually grill-and pat with paper towels less fat that way)
  • 1/2 bag of dried Navy Beans or 1 large can of Navy Beans
  • 2 boxes of fresh frozen turnip greens or one package of fresh frozen turnip greens. Rinse and squeeze.
  • 1 package of Knorr Soup Mix
  • 3 Shakes of Tabasco Sauce
  • 3 Cups of water (maybe a tad more)


I use dried beans. First, I like to soak them in a solution of Baking Soda dissolved in hot tap water. I usually let them soak for several hours or in the fridge overnight. Next, I cook them in an iron pot (any pot will do with 1-2 table spoons of Apple Cider Vinegar. These too steps keep beans from making people gassy and have heartburn.


I usually grill my sausage, but today I precooked them in a skillet. After patting down in paper towels, cut up into small pieces.


After rinsing and squeezing turnip greens, set them aside ( I have used fresh greens, I have also used kale and other greens. Whatever I had in the fridge that had to be used up. My family loved it. In fact, my 10 yo DD prefers fresh kale over the turnip greens...)

In crock pot or large stew pot, add 3 cups of water, Knorr soup mix, 3 shakes of Tabasco and bring to a boil. Add greens, beans and sausage. Cover and if in a crock pot, walk away until you are ready to eat. :-) If stew pot, let it cook for another hour or so.

Now you have to have bread with this soup and nothing is better than made from scratch buttermilk cornbread unless.....

You have one of these babies in your pantry! Yum yum!

Nice and hot, fresh from the oven. (Two packages for a pan like this.)


Side salad optional... This soup is a meal by itself. And very filling!
(Nina, if you are reading this, do you want us to send you some dried Navy Beans, Knorr Soup Mix and maybe some canned Bushes Turnip Greens? Can you get that where you are? We have plenty of Jiffy Mix now....)


And what better for dessert? Strawberry Shortcake!

To see more Foodie Friday participants or to participate yourself, go to Gollum's Blog. Thanks for hosting Gollum!

21 comments:

The Raggedy Girl said...

OH-yum!!! The soup looks so good and I love greens. And the Strawberry Shortcake make me long for Spring to arrive. I am in the mood to plant a little herb garden.

from a Raggedy Roberta Anne

Bo said...

Oh this does sound good...we love all the ingredients! My DH planted some turnips the other day...I hope they make it in this topsy-tervy weather we're having...Oh yeah, gotta have cornbread with this delish dish...Thanks! ;-) Bo

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

aleady ate...and am very full..but I can always make room for some strawberry shortcake! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend!

Susan

susan said...

We had mustard greens last night with ham and sweet potatoes--one of my husband's favorite winter meals. I think we would love this soup. Thanks!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Melissa, I just got out of the car after a long car ride, and I came over to see if anyone else had posted. Am happy to see you have! And I love the sound of that soup! YUM! Sounds great to me! Thank you for sharing the recipe and showing the procedure. I liked having both.

Here's wishing you a very happy Foodie Friday, St. Patty's Day, and weekend all rolled into one!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh that looks like some real good soup!! And the full meal deal is fabulous! Happy Foodie Friday to you!

Lianne said...

Yea! Now I know what to do with those turnip greens in my fridge... That will go great on a rainy Saturday! Thanks!

Martha said...

Soup looks really good. When I first read it, I thought it said "turtle"!!!! But it is a good way to use those turnip greens.

SmilingSally said...

I'd like some of that dessert, please.

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I've never had this soup, but it's right up my alley. We love cornbread and greens. I am so making this! Thank you so much for coming to the potluck!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Wow! I love greens and this sounds like a wonderful new soup to try! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

That looks soooo good! I copied it to use another day. Today I have potato soup on.

Manuela

Kelli said...

All of these dishes look delicious...wow! I need to make some dinner now. :0)
~Kelli

Gone said...

You WON!!! Stop by and email me the info I need to send you cup!!

Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Melissa! I hope you still have a bit of this soup left. Sorry you're not feeling well today and what a nice hubby to help out with the little ones at church. I'm on my way to get ready for church! :) I should never have gotten on the computer! :) Feel better dear one and I hope your little sweetness gets her piano one day! I think I was about 35 before I got my grand!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sew Gracious said...

We *heart* Jiffy Muffins! :)

The blog of MBW said...

Everything looks yummy! So where do you live so I can come over? (just kidding)

Have a nice day!

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Missy!

Oh, the soup looks absolutely YUMMY!!! I would love a taste of it, please! :)

Thanks for commenting on my teacup pincushion. I don't think I have hard of Judith Adams. Had to look her up online. It's always great to learn new things from you. :)

Have a blessed day.

Anonymous said...

Oh yum that looks so good...... nothing better than soup and cornbread...... I like cornbread sweeeet.
HUgs
Linda

Sue said...

This soup looks so delicious, and since i love turnips I must try It thank you for sharing
Sue

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness! I've never had this and grew up in the South!! It looks good! I'll have to try this as we have some fresh frozen turnip greens in our freezer.