Monday, October 27, 2008

Dinner Time!


Yum yum! Family favorite!


You will need a half a bag of Navy Beans (whole bag if you have a big pot and
like it heavy on the beans. ;-))


Some baking Soda. 2007! I hope this box still works!


A bowl of hot tap water.
Pour about 1/4 cup of the baking soda
into the bowl. Stir it around. Add the Navy Beans and let them soak 4-8 hours.


Beans will look plump and round. Pour them into a colander.


Rinse thoroughly.


Next you will need Apple Cider Vinegar.


I cook my beans in my grandma & grandpa's old 2 qt iron pot.
Beans taste so good when cooked in this pot. Yum!

Add about 2 tablespoons of the Apple Cider Vinegar to the Beans.
Between the Baking Soda Soak and the Apple Cider Vinegar, much of gas is removed from the beans. In other words, you will not have any indegistion and no
'Beano' needed after eating this chili.


I do like to add some chili powder to my beans. I cook them until they are tender.


Eeewwwuuuu! This photo is out of focus! This is a pot with about
5-6 chicken breasts. I add a few seasonings to them. Chilli powder, black pepper, garlic, dried minced onion. Little sea salt.


After the chicken is through cooking. Chop or shred the chicken and set aside. Strain the broth through a sieve and add back to the large pot. Discard sieve contents.


You will need a few more ingredients. I like Ro-Tel (and the really hot stuff, but my family likes the mild so I just add tobacco to my bowl...) cilantro (fresh, dried or in a tube), more garlic, I really love fresh bell or sweet pepper, or hot pepper, but my family does not, so I leave it out.


I also include a quart of tomatoes. I either used fresh or fresh frozen.
Can should be fine if that is what you have on hand.

Oh, and cannot forget! A blend of Cinnamon & Sugar! 1-2 Tablespoons. Sometimes I just add 1 tablespoon of Cinnimon. I do not want it all that sweet.

Add the Chicken back to the pot and cook for 2-4 hours.
(Chili can cook forever!) In a crock pot, it can cook all day.


And corn bread? Can't beat a box of Jiffy!


Garnish with cheese, onions, corn chips, whatever you like. Oh yum! This can last a few days. Great for a busy week. Always tastes better the next day.


And always great with a salad on the side.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMMMM - that looks yummy! I have to say I have never had white chili! And it's very interesting that it calls for cinnamon sugar. I am going to have to try this recipe now that the weather has gotten colder.

It's funny because I had "red" chili for lunch today! :)

Thanks for your kind comment on my quilt.

And, no, I haven't heard from Helen. She must still be recovering from the convention! :)

Have a great night, Missy. I hope your day goes well for you tomorrow!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Melissa, This looks so yummy! I've never had chili with chicken, or with cinnamon sugar! LOL! But it sounds delicious!!! I made dried beans, cooked with cut-up chunks of boneless pork ribs Sunday, and Jiffy corn bread! The pork ribs were on sale/marked down, so that was cheap eating, and one of the best meals we have had in a while!

Hope you have been doing well! ...missed you! :) ~Rhonda

SmilingSally said...

Thanks for the recipe. Missy, you've been Boo-ed! Come find out what that means. :-O

Gone said...

Makes me want to make beans...or white chili and corn bread!!!

SOMEWHERE IN TIME is a lovely movie. I don't think I've ever seen Lake House...will have to check it out!

Shannon said...

I'm SOOOO hungry now!! Looks delicious!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

I once heard of cinnamon in chili. Glad to hear you give it thumbs up because some homemade chili is sounding really good today, and I just learned the German word for cinnamon!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

That looks awesome right down to teh salad!
Thanks for sharing the recipies!

Have a great week!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Well, that looks good. I've never had chili like that. Nancy

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

That is a very different chili recipe. I usually save my white chili for the day after thanksgiving.
Yummy!