Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fine Machine Sewing (at Smocking Convention)

Since I am getting my artisianship in Fine Machine Sewing, I thought I would take a class in Fine Machine Sewing.
I chose a class taught by Gail Doan, Pin Tucked Bonnet, Fine Machine Sewing. A really nice class.

I have known Gail for many years on the internet. Seems like my DD and her youngest are about the same in age. We met briefly years ago at a Martha Pullen School of Art and Fashion. Maybe at of couple of those. (I have only gone to two.) And now Gail is a teacher! Actually, she has been teaching for a while. Seems like she was teaching at the last SAGA Convention that I went to.

Gail is a wonderful designer and had been featured in Sew Beautiful, Australian Smocking and Embroidery and other publications as well.


Here are some nice pintucks in our piece.


Gail is assisting a student.

These two bonnets have their ruffles, and some of their lace and ribbon. They are almost finished.The will be finished off with blue silk ribbon.


Here are some samples of Gails other bonnet designs and bonnet classes that she teaches.


Gail shows us how to make the silk ribbon Rosette.


Isn't it just beautiful!


A lovely bonnet for a baby to wear with a pretty day gown, Easter Dress or to wear to church on Sunday Morning. It will make a nice gift that any mother will just love.

If Gail is ever in your area teaching classes, it will be well worth your time to sign up. She is an excellent teacher. Just wonderful. A great class and a great project.

This is also my Friday Show and Tell for this week hosted by Kelli of "There's No Place Like Home". To see more Show and Tell's click here.

25 comments:

SmilingSally said...

What a sweet bonnet for some precious baby to wear!

I'm sharing some awards; stop by.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Beautiful! I used to love to put dresses on my little daughter that had smocking or pleating. Have fun with your classes!

Pink Slippers said...

DARLING!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Such intricate work and so beautiful!
My entry will be published at 3:35 am, at the time of my son's birth 22 yrs ago. The Show and Tell is under the first part of the post.

Grammy said...

What a wonderful job you did. I love all the detail. That is what is missing in clothing these days.

Hootin Anni said...

What an amazing job! Wow. I'm VERY impressed, truly.

My Show n Tell is now posted...come on over if you can! I'd love to have you visit with me this fine Friday!!! Happy weekend to you too.

Gone said...

What an exquisite bonnet!!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Wow, what awesome handwork! I am too impatient to learn anything like this, but I have such admiration for this wonderful art!

Have a great weekend!

Pamela said...

What an exquisite bonnet! I'm amazed that you can create such loveliness with a sewing machine.

Constance said...

Those are gorgeous! I wouldn't want to use them because they're so beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us this week!

Last week I shared about my Grandma's trunk, the "before restoration" photos. I got it back and I have posted its transformation on today's S&T.
Connie

Gattina said...

Beautiful ! but what a work !! I don't have the patience for sewing such things, lol !

BTW, I don't care about spams either, I read, laugh and throw them away !

Alice said...

Your bonnet is beautiful. My daughter took a class one time and made something similar, but not nearly as beautiful. I think she was 8 at the time :). I really enjoy the step-by-steps. Thanks :). And, thanks for your comment on my blog (the shadow of the cross).

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What a beautiful bonnet!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Oooo, how pretty!

Lisa Cobler said...

It's beautiful! Great job!

Being Mrs Miles said...

My Gracious, such FINE work.

I have fond childhood memories of my mom teaching me how to 'smock' ... just simple x stitching on white material. You know, after seeing this, I might just pick it up again one day.

Thanks so much for sharing this amazing talent.

~ Barb

Hootin Anni said...

I'm back...I left you a Halloween Treat for you on my Saturday blog issue...come on over!!!

Happy weekend to you.

Anonymous said...

I wrote a comment and tried to post it, but I don't think it went through so I'll try it again.
I would have loved to have taken a class like this back when I was doing a lot of sewing. It would have been really helpful when I was making all those doll clothes back in the 80s. I really enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing.
Charlotte

Lady Katherine said...

I just love it. Got to get back to my smocking project.

Dawn said...

I would love to have been at that class!!!!!
I love baby bonnets!!!
Check my post today if you have a moment.

Susie Homemaker said...

You have amazing talent...so pretty and delicate. You have learned your lessons well.

Best Wishes,
Susie

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

How very beautiful! I love things like that! Thanks for sharing!

Katherine

Nancy Rosalina said...

OOOh, that is so sweet, and what talent and blessing to make them!

Anonymous said...

ohmygosh.... that looks like something you would see in a by gone era...... the craftsmanship is unbelievable...... really.... ohmygosh...
Linda

Kelli said...

Such beautiful smocking work...I love the tiny flowers! It sounds like a wonderful class to take!
~Kelli