Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Decorating

It is Holiday Open House at Kimba's, BooMama is having Christmas Tour of Homes, Julia is having Hooked on Holiday Tours and our own Birmingham's Southern Hospitality Rhoda is having a Christmas Decorating Party too! Well, though I am still pulling things out of the attic and basement, just put the tree up, I still want to join the parties! (For Trash to Treasure, scroll down to the next post.)


My piano all decorated with some of my teapots and coffee pots. The ones on the left stay that way year around. From the center over has been changed. I borrowed an idea from Diane of A Picture is Worth a 1000 Words of taking a thrift store silver plate tray and displaying my bisque Nativity scene on it.


I love my pewter coffee pot lamp. I have had it for several years. The vintage brown teapot and Lenox coffeepot are gifts from IL's. The tea cup I found at Home Goods.

More pots and goodies.


This bisque Nativity Set is a gift from my late MIL.


Our tree is a hodge podge of ornaments. Homemade, gifts, souvenirs, many made with love by friends, children of friends and our precious little daughter.


My teapot fetish extends to ornaments as well. This photo is not very good as I was hand holding with no flash.


Hayward, DD's Magic Elf, is worn out. He had a busy day today. (To know more about Hayward, scroll down to see the my Trash to Treasures post.)


Hayward's bed and some other furnature is displayed under the tree for a time. He stays with us until Dec 23rd. Then he has to go back to the North Pole to help Santa.


This is my mantel decorated for the Christmas Holidays.


My SIL got me this teapot. It is a teapot for all seasons. It is also a usable teapot. And holds heat very well.


My Step MIL found this teapot in an Antique shop in New England. Heavy old stoneware. I have never used it, but I bet it makes a great pot of tea. And it looks great in my living/great room.


I made our Christmas stockings about 13 or 14 years ago. The one on the far left is mine. Every piece of fabric has some significance in it. Fabric from my after dinner rehearsal dress, fabric my late MIL brought back from IL's trip to Beging, some other fabrics in there as well. The stocking to the right is for pets or out of town guests. And this year that will be my mom! :D


DD's stocking and DH's stocking to the left.


My Christmas China displayed on the hutch in the kitchen.


We do not really do Santa (we pretend) in this house. We do have fun with it. We even have one of those silly little elves that wreaks havok and makes messes in our house this time of year. Do you realize how many people, children worship Santa as a god? I wonder how the Bishop of Myra would feel if he knew that? All he ever wanted to do was glorify God and the Lord Jesus Christ by making sure the orphans and widows had what they needed. We do have fun with it. DD knows the man we now call 'Santa' was a real person, who is in heaven now. He was one of the great Saints of God and God used him in a mighty way while he was living on earth. Somewhere in time, people lost perspective about him.

This has been fun sharing a little of my home with you! I will be posting some more in the next day or two.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful home you have!
I especially love your homemade stockings with the fabrics having significance. We don't "do" Santa either, so I can relate to that. Thanks for having me over! Merry Christmas!

Mad Red Hare said...

I love that teapot lamp! What a great idea. That Santa looking over baby Jesus is sooooo sweet. I collect Santas and Nativities, so I should try to find one of those.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Thanks for joining my blog party! When I was growing up, my parents had one of those Santas that kneels beside the baby Jesus, so yours brought back memories! They didn't "do" Santa, either (we were never told he was real or that he would come to our house).

Merry Christmas! -Julia :-)

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Love your stockings and how special they are! And all of your teapots are so pretty too!

Have a great week!

Deb said...

Hi Melissa! Everything is so beautiful and a great little history lesson too! Deb

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! You have beautiful things! Merry Christmas!

Christie said...

Hey Melissa!
Everything looks so pretty all dressed up for Christmas. I love all of your sentimental treasures!
Hope you have a great week!
xoxo,
Queenie

Beth at Aunties said...

The teapots are a beautiful collection!
Santa at are home has always been magical but I always tried to spin Christ into each act of kindness. As we hung our Christmas stockings after Thanksgiving we had notes and pencils close where if our children saw someone in our family doing a Christlike service for someone else they would jot it down or have mom help jot it down and we would read them on Christmas eve before they left them for Santa to fill.
We tried to make December a month of serving others as He would have us serve and look for those in need.
I too think Jesus gets lost during this season of celebrating his birth if we do not make an effort to make him front and center. Our children loved to sneak and play Santa to others and while hiding seeing the looks on thoe who opened their doors...

I enjoyed my visit at your and looking at your beauties displayed. Especially your beautiful stockings.

Hugs,
Beth

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Melissa, thanks for playing in my party post! All your Christmas looks so pretty and festive and very cozy. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas this year.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Love your teapots and other goodies, Melissa!

xo,

Sheila

Bo said...

I enjoyed my visit to see your Christmas decorations! ;-) Bo

Valerie said...

Melissa I loved your tour. I like the homemade stockings! The best things are home made. Sorry I haven't been commenting I have been extremely busy at work. I do appreciate you coming to my blog though. Oh I didn't realize that the Santa at the Galleria had been there that long. I need to hunt up my daughter's old Santa pictures and see if he is the same. I hope you have a great day!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Melissa, Everything is your home is just beautiful, decorated for Christmas! I love the stockings you made! And your T to T post was so cute, a bed for the elf! That really was a creative and unique treasure made from trash! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Bonita said...

I'm drooling all over those teapots! What a nice collection you have.

I think we have the same Christmas china. If I ever get mine down off the top cabinet shelf I'll be able to know for sure!

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa,
All of your decor looks great! I love the way you displayed your Nativity. :)

Diane

Mary Beth said...

Your decorations are so lovely...what a warm and inviting home you have.

God Bless and Merry Christmas,
Mary Beth

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa! Oh, I love your beautiful decorations and I'm drooling over all those wonderful tea pots. Please come by my blog today - I have a little Diva on display!!
Be a sweetie,
shelia :)

Gone said...

I love your "dressed for christmas" house! It's gorgeous.

I announced our Give-Away winner last night!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Love those tea pots. And the wreath over the mantle is so pretty! Looks like you're all ready for Santa.

Merry Christmas from She Lives!

Decor To Adore said...

I love your decorations~absolutely adorable!
I hope you'll visit soon, I will have my last giveaway of December this Friday.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, Missy. Your teapot collection is impressive, and I love the crazy quilt-themed stockings!

Sharon said...

Thank you for stopping by to visit me on my blog and feel free to add my blog to your list! I'll do the same for yours. :)

Your home is lovely and I really like your stockings!! I really should make us some new ones.

Lianne said...

Thanks for coming over to my blog. I am going to add you to my reading list since I think you and I have a lot in common!

1. Again, Roll Tide!
2. I collect tea pots too! I have some really great vintage copper ones that I love.
3. I read the post about the elfin bed...love it! I am one of those girls that recycled stuff like that before it was cool to recycle. In fact, I have a craft room in my house that has shelves full of rubbermaid containers with old jars, random fabric scraps, ribbons, and boxes. (You never know when one of the kids will have a project! I have a truck made out of 2 shoeboxes and 4 baby food jar lids that my son used for a Valentine's Day box. It is precious!)

Missy Wertz said...

Oh I bet that is kewl!