Friday, January 2, 2009

Advice Please

What do you think?


This is an old table. It has been all over the house. Not sure where it came from. A piece from DH's mother's family. I think it is sweet gum wood. Most of the furniture that they had was sweet gum wood with a veneer on the top. I cannot find a corner table for my small foyer, but I do keep putting this table here and like it. (My pink wellies always stay here. Maybe I need to find a black pair.)


My foyer is tall. In some places, 2-3 stories and it is where DH and I keep our galleries. Photo clients come in and it is one of the first things that they see. Most of my frames are black. Now I want to spray paint the rest black. The old brass umbrella stand that I spray painted black sits across from the table. (I am still decorated for Christmas. I do not take anything down until after the Epiphany.) Think this table could use a black dress?

Blessings,
Melissa

7 comments:

The Muse said...

I would try it....
And not limit myself to just black :)
Design is an opportunity to "play" !

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Melissa, I think it fits well there. You don't want something big, and it's small enough to work without tripping you. There's nothing I hate worse than banging my knee on furniture that's too large for a space. I think it's a cute table. And I like your pink wellies. :-)

XO,

Sheila

The Muse said...

Oh gosh, i am a faux painter! LOL so if you paint it LOL you have my full support!
(my only rule, if there is really a rule~i try not to paint antiques of value)
ooo cannot wait to see...

and, the table is cute, so a skirt is maybe not the answer...
what about hanging some art underneath there?

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!!

I think it looks great the way it is, Missy! I love all the framed pictures in your foyer!

I don't take my Christmas stuff down until at least late Jan! :) I am glad that there's someone out there that is not in a hurry to take down their decorations either!

Anonymous said...

I would paint it. Black would be nice and safe. But come one Melissa, you know you can handle some color. As I recall, your favorite color is blue. Why not jazz up your foyer with a little of the unexpected and paint it a fun blue? I think something so small would be fun to play with, but that's just me.
-- Brandi

SmilingSally said...

I'm sure that many will say paint away, but I never could touch a GOOD piece of wood with a paint brush. Only you can tell what your table looks like. Good luck. I'm sure whatever you decide, it will be fine.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Well, I would mosaic it...lol, but that is me. Yes! Paint it black. It would look great that color.