Friday, July 11, 2008

Balanced Achieved!

I have achieved balance on my mantel and want to "show and tell" you about it! Since I want to start participating in Kelli's of There's No Place Like Home Friday Show and Tell. {Click on this link to read more about it.}
Show and Tell I thought I would tell you all about it and show you a photo. :-)

The mantel displays some of my teapot collection, photos I have taken and hand tinted of Mary Esther, some crochet doilies I have collected, (these may have come from Hobby Lobby or Michael's as I have tons from stores to eBay, from those family have made to some I have made.), candle sticks, snuffer and a clock. The clock was truly a bargain. I think it still has the tag on it. Hobby Lobby Clearance for $6.88 or something like that about 2 years ago.

I could not find black candle sticks like I wanted, so I went to Michael's and bought some wooden ones. Then I painted them...several times.... until I got the look I wanted. The cream coloured candle sticks were sitting on a clearance shelf at Hobby Lobby and were calling my name. I bought them. (I have another on the Piano, it is larger.) I think I paid 2 or 3 dollars apiece for them. The faux pewter candle stick is a Dirty Santa gift that I knew would be perfect for that spot and I waited.... and when I saw my chance, I stoled it when I knew it would be retired to me!

I am a professional photographer and the photos I took myself. (Sorry about the glare in the glass of the large photo, no time to photo shop!!!) The small one is of my DD in her Baby Dedication Gown. The larger one is DD in her Heirloom Party Dress. Both photos are hand tinted black and white photographs. To see more of my work, go to my website Images by "Missy"

The snuffer is from Wall*Mart and I paid waaaayyyy tooo much for it. But it worked and the only one I could find that was black.

Tea Pots (How I love tea pots and coffee pots....sigh) The one on the left is a gift from my In Laws and I think they got it at an antique shop in New England. The tea pot on the right is a gift from my sister in law and goes in any room (except DD's) in the house. And I just love it.

The ribbon is ribbon I buy by the rolls to decorate for Christmas and wrap Christmas packages with. I left it on the tea pot handles and candle sticks because it goes with my decor and I like it. I did take down my tree. ;-)

I am proud of the balanced achieved. It is difficult for me and I tend to fret over it. I can see it and photograph it instinctively. But designing it is a different altogether.... I guess that is why there is always a 'designer' assigned to a photographer. LOL!
Now to get busy! We have a birthday weekend for Mary Esther! She has two piano concerts as today is her last day of piano camp. (Hopefully will post photos.) She has a solo this afternoon and an ensaumble quartet tonight. It will be fun! Out of town company, a cookout..... We are going to have FUN!

11 comments:

Lindy said...

I'm sure that is a good feeling to get it decorated the way you like. I actually have a pantry cabinet in my kitchen that I just can't seem to get "balanced" on the top! I guess I'll just keep working on it. ha.

Susan said...

Very lovely items.
Susan

Barbara H. said...

What a lovely vignette. I love the way you have them displayed. I especially love the doilies ad the cream-colored candlestick.

Rebecca said...

beautiful mantle!!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

You did a great job on the mantle. And you sure found some great bargains. Don't you just love that?!

Missy Wertz said...

It is a great feeling to have it decorated the way I like. I have done that before. Redecorate it for Christmas, try to change it back and forget how I had it. Now I have it on my blog... And I have last years Christmas Mantel photo on my hard drive so I will remember how to decorate it for Christmas. I hate it when I cannot get the mantle to balance.
Keep working on it Melinda, you will get there, I did, then take a photo...

Thanks Susan.

Thanks Babara. I love that candle stick and especially the price!

Thank you Rebecca!

Thank you CeeKay, and yes I do love bargains!

A Hint of Home said...

The mantle turned out great. It's so nice when a plan finally comes together.
You got some great buys.

Love Bears All Things said...

I enjoyed seeing your mantle and reading the story behind the items there. You do a good job of putting things and colors together that you like.
Mama Bear

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Great grouping! Thanks for sharing!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Your mantel is perfectly balanced, you did a wonderful job! You are a gifted photographer and a true bargain hunter, just like I am :). Have a wonderful weekend.

Kelli said...

I like things balanced too and think you have done a beautiful job with your mantle! I love the doilies and teapots. I hope you are having a fun weekend!
~Kelli