Thursday, August 21, 2008

Deco Project Inspired by Blogging!

Thrifty Decorating inspired by you! And talk about thrifty! I went shopping in my own house.

Quick disclaimer here. I took these photos with my cheapy point and shoot. It just works faster and photo shop works faster with the photos I get out of it. And you can still see some of the detail. :-)

We have many old things. They belonged to our parents, grand parents, great grand parents. We are not hoarders. We are treasure keepers. Sometimes we want to keep something b/c of a special memory or b/c it has the finger prints of a loved one gone one to be with the Lord.

After my dear MIL died, my FIL was going through some things. (Even though he has remarried, the house is much the same as she had it.) And he put some things out that he did not want anymore. This tired old umbrella stand was one of them. I needed an umbrella stand, could not find what I wanted, he said I could have it. :D

I have let it sit just like you see it, in my foyer for 12-13 years.


My intent was to let it go, when I find what I want to replace it, at a price I am willing to pay. It is one of those really '60's vintage brass things. This has some rust and a couple of dents one it. But, that adds character don't you think?
I started with rustoleum sage (will have to look at the can for the specific color) but looks like cream to me color of paint. I tried wiping it, to make the brass show thru, but didn't work. That's OK. I have another plan.

I added the "black dress" Rustoleums (sp?) textured spray in black on top of the cream. And tried to wipe away the areas where I wanted the detail to come through, it did not work like I wanted. Not to worry. I had another plan that might just work. :D

I re-highlighted with the cream and went back and sprayed the black at an angle. It brought out more of the detail of the hammered design on the umbrella stand.
Ta Da!

See how nice it looks with a collection of my Grandma's canes and my Grandpa's walking sticks? The cream paint brings out the hammered design underneath, though you cannot see the detail well in this photo. Now I need to find an handsome black umbrella for this handsome black umbrella stand! :-) And only cost a little paint.

I have more to show in a few days! I have been really busy. ;-)

8 comments:

Nancy Rosalina said...

GREAT JOB...You have inspired me to get my painting done...I have several things to get spray painted, I have been waiting on cooler weather, but I may have to wait to long..lol This really did turn out nice. Blessings, Nancy

Kelli said...

What a wonderful makeover! It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do!
~Kelli

Screaming Meme said...

I like it! I'm having a "faux" class that is starting come join in the fun! Screaming Meme

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

That's great! Very clever of you!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I have enjoyed my visit to your blog! Your photography is amazing! Love your umbrella stand project! ~Come back again! ~Rhonda :)

Deb said...

I really like it too! I love making things over. I can't wait to see what else you have done. And by the way, it's so nice to meet you! Deb

Unknown said...

Hey,
I really like the way your project turned out! Great job,
Diane

Ramona said...

You did such a lovely job! I love it. Thanks for stopping by my blog to say howdy~do! Our summer weather is returning after a preview of fall...typical Northwest. You have inspired me to spray paint something....creativity overflowing on your blog!

Smiles ~ Ramona