Thursday, August 14, 2008

One of My Favorite Purses

This is a purse I made some time ago. I love it! I use it every fall. I designed and drafted the pattern myself. I have made many for gifts, but this is the only one I have made for myself. (Just picky about fabrics and colors I guess... ;-P)
It is a tad smaller than the Sew Gracious bags, but just a small tad. (I declare, I do not know how she can make any money for what she sells them for... I have more money in this bag than what I pay her for one of her bags...)

Here is a back view of the bag. I think the top fabric in this bag is Waverley. The bottom is some other type of upholstery fabric. I have also used silk to make these bags. The trim is upholstery trim. It takes me 3 1/2 to 4 hours to complete a bag from start to finish, depending on if I do any hand or machine embroidery.

The inside is lined with ticking. It was not very expensive and went with the fabric so well.

Here is a close up of the bag. It is a nice purse. Handle is long enough to sit well on the shoulder.

I do not make them to sell, I only make them for gifts. If you ever get one from me as a gift, consider yourself a very very good friend. :-)

Have a Blessed Day!

3 comments:

Kitty Scraps said...

Hi Melissa,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment! Naturally I had to come check out your blog too *smiles*

I make bags too and totally understood about how much money we have in the fabrics and time in the making that it's hard to imagine how a person can profit from them. I must be a slow sewer though as I know it takes me longer than 4 hours to complete a bag, maybe I just take more breaks? lol There is just something very special about giving a handmade gift and I try to only give handmade to my friends. Your friends are blessed because your bag is lovely! What a great gift! Now I'm inspired to post about some of my past bag creations *smiles* I'd love to learn more about the smocking... Do you have pictures up of your work? Anyway, this is way too long of a comment *sigh* Nice to meet you!

Screaming Meme said...

I love it! Great job! You are very talented! Screaming Meme

Carrie said...

I really like the design of this bag. Your use of fabric and trim is very pleasing.