Wednesday, June 24, 2009

TableScape Thurs~The McLean House

Welcome to Tablescape Thursday and thank you Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) for hosting your 44th TT!
In Appomattox, VA., where Robert E. Lee surrendered the Confederate troupes to General Grant, you will find the McLean house. It is a beautiful 3 story home.

The McLeans lived in Manassas, VA. He was a banker and also speculated in sugar. After the war started they moved to Appomattox, VA. History tells us it was because of 'business'. But there is also a legend that during the battle of Bull Run (Manassas), which was also the first battle of the Civil War, a cannon ball went through their Manassa home.


In their lovely home in Appomattox the kitchen was on the first/ground floor. The morning table setting of breakfast for the head cook, housekeeper or even Mrs. McLean would look something like this.



Mr. McLean would have had his afternoon tea set in his study much like this.I believe this is Flow Blue. I was behind a barrier and there was a big ranger woman watching me. I suppose she was afraid I would make off with the china....



On the ground floor, across from the kitchen, is the dinning hall. I bet there were many dances in there as well. I love those empire sideboards.... but this is about table settings. Mrs. McLean (or her servants) set a lovely table. And look at the painted cloth under the table. It is beautiful! Expensive for the day and forerunner to our vinyl tile.


Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. To see more Tablescapes or to Participate in Tablescape Thursday, go to Susan's blog Between Naps on the Porch.

18 comments:

Kammy said...

I would love a dining room that large...they sure made the rooms and tables huge in those days !
Thanks for sharing !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Deanna said...

Dearest Melissa,
I need a staff of servants!
This is a pleasant diningroom. Like the way it is decorated.
Blessings to you,
~Deanna~
from Home Haven nestled in the Kansas Flinthills

PS Having virtual Tea on Thursday at my place...won't you join me for a tea break?

Anonymous said...

Hi again, Melissa! I think I left my comment to you on the wrong blog! Excuse me! :) Oh, what a great dining room - it's so big! Lovely so lovely!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

Thanks for sharing these great pictures with us. And I agree, that is probably flow blue. Too bad someone was in the way to get a better look!

Martha said...

There's nothing like a large dining room. It's a great house -- and I love the furniture.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Great post...loved the history lesson...

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Just beautiful Melissa and girl I loved finding out the history of the home..any thing to do with old homes I love reading about...great post my friend...thanks for sharing...May you have a great day...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

SmilingSally said...

Thanks for the history lesson. Your blog looks like you're getting ready for the 4th. It looks as if your VBS was a success.

Michelle said...

Love that rug, such gorgeous colors!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Nice tour! Happy TT!

Mary said...

Very nice!

ellen b. said...

Looks like a great place to visit. Wouldn't it be grand to have a dining area this large with that table!!

Unknown said...

What a fabulously large dining room. Love those dining room chairs! Great tour!

Thanks for sharing!

Tina

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Beautiful post, Melissa!! Thank you!

Kathleen said...

Lovely tour, thank you!

Darlene said...

That looks neat and a great tour. Love your Patriotic look on the blog!

Rue said...

Hi Melissa :)

What a wonderful home to tour! I love the breakfast table :)

Thank you for your kind words about Shiloh among other things ;)

xo,
rue

Valerie said...

I love visiting old homes and learning the history behind them. I have never been to Virginia and probably will never go so thanks for sharing this beautiful place! Hope your doing well!