Saturday, August 30, 2008

Pink Saturday

It's Pink Saturday!!! I want to share with y'all a few things I have made for DD to wear. She has long since outgrown these, and really does not like to wear solid pink anymore, but I loved the day when it was her favorite color. And she was so precious in it!

In this first photo she is wearing an Heirloom Party Dress. The pattern is from Martha Pullen's French Handsewing by Machine II. It is made out of 100% PINK cotton batiste and french laces. I also did just a little machine embroidery pieces in the yoke and sleeves. I guess to stay with the 'French "Handsewn by Machine"' bit. ;-) LOL!


The second photo is one of my all time favorite dresses. I have made two of them. One for my niece and one for DD. It is from Australian Smocking and Embroidery (I think issue #41, I will have to check) and the design is called Child's Play. I wish I could remember the designers name. If I get a chance to go look it up, I will. The first dress I made like this took me 70-80 hours to smock and embroider all the flowers. That was for my niece. By the time I made this one, I had gotten much faster and not near as picky with my stitches. This is also a black and white photograph/negative printed on fiber based paper. I hand-tinted it with photographic oil based paints. I still do hand tinted photographs. I have my lab print them up for me digitally now. The fabric is 100% PINK Cotton Batiste with an English Netting overlay based and pleated onto a bishop dress. The sleeves are pleated and smocked as well.

Y'all have a Happy Pink Saturday! And stop over at Beverly's at How Sweet the Sound and see all the other Pink Posts. :D

29 comments:

suesueb said...

gorgeous dresses! i love heirloom sewing and it's been so long since i've done it but now i have a granddaughter! have a great pink week

Gabriela said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

What a cute PINK post!

~ Gabriela ~

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

Oh I wish I knew how to smock! These dresses are just presious!

Anonymous said...

Oh those are both such sweet beauties! Ivory Spring on my blogroll smocks and has the sweetest dress she's working on...

Dawn said...

THose are the most beautiful dresses I have seen! I can't believe how much time it took you to make them. I'm sure it was all well worth the effort. They are gorgeous!

Happy Pink Saturday!

take care,
Dawn

Suzie Button said...

I am in awe of your dresses! I have wished I had the time to learn how to do heirloom quality stitching and especially smocking, but I don't have time! Just amazing work! I'm going to have my first grandchild next April, I think I will have to find time! Thanks so much for sharing! You're very talented!

Unknown said...

Hi Missy,
Both of the dresses are beautiful! And the little girl in them is lovely too!
diane

melissa said...

Such gorgeous dresses! Beautiful daughter too.I adore smocked dresses and IF I had a girl she would wear them all the time. As it is, my poor boys had to wear lots of smocked outfits when they were little! ;)

Melissa

SmilingSally said...

Ah, you can SEW! Now, I've made a few things in my day, but you... WOW!

Happy Pink Saturday!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What gorgeous dresses, and pretty little girl! I would have enjoyed heirloom sewing when my two daughters were little.

You are a great seamstress!

Katherine

Anonymous said...

Happy Pink Saturday, love the dress's, I would love to learn to do that, still thinking about those classes LOL

The Berry's Patch said...

Hi Melissa,

Your good with the sewing machine. I can sew straight lines...sometimes. Those dresses are beautiful. I think I would frame those in a shadow box.

Happy labor day weekend!

Brandee :-)

Donna Lynn said...

The smocking you did on those dresses is just amazing! My mom does smocking and I love how is looks, so intricate and beautiful. She did a navy and white sailor dress for one of my neices that was over the top like yours are!

Hope your having a beautiful weekend so far!
XO,
Donna Lynn

Mo..."Mo's Cottage" said...

One word...FABULOUS....I sew and I know how long things with that much detail takes....You should put that dress in a keepsake frame........very nice job...Your grand daughter is just a little beauty..... Happy Pink Saturday..
Hugs,
Mo :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Melissa.

What a gift you have, and such beautiful dresses you have created. I have always loved smocking - it is a wonderful art.

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful dresses especially that second one!

Thanks for stopping by to say hello!

Manuela

Anne Fannie said...

Hello Melissa, what beautiful dresses you have made! You are one talented pink lady!
Thanks for sharing, great pink saturday post.
love, Ann

Anonymous said...

Wha a beautiful dress and beautiful daughter - your work is lovely. Have a wonderful day.

Kelli said...

I love all your pink things! The dresses are gorgeous!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

I have always been a lover of smocking! One of my dear friends smocked a couple of dresses for her daughter so I know how much time that takes. You did a beautiful job! Dana

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Precious dresses! I smocked a lot for my daughter when she was small, and I miss those sweet days! :) ~Rhonda

Unknown said...

Beautiful pink dresses...wish I had one to wear!

Kindredly, Lynne Laura

Anonymous said...

Aww, what a sweetheart. :)

Susan Hickam said...

The dresses are amazing-I am in awe of your talen! I have never tried smocking-it kind of intimadates me. The photo that was hand tinted was wonderful. Thanks for sharing with us.

Nancy Rosalina said...

Sweet dresses! you have a wonderful talent! Blessings, Nancy

Deb said...

What beautiful little girls, and lovely pink dresses. Great post! Deb

Margie said...

What gorgeous *pink* little girl dresses! You are very talented, indeed!

Charlotte said...

Both of these dresses are absolutely gorgeous. I love the style and the color. Darling children too.

Anonymous said...

OMG that smocked dress is stunning.... I did a few when my daughter was small.... I just LOVE that look. Do you still have that beauty?
HUgs
Linda