Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Neighborhood Walk-A-Bout

For Outdoor Wednesday, I wanted to share with you some photos I took on a walk Memorial Day Morning. It was cool, humid, and in between showers. Lovely walk.

Thank you to Susan from A Southern Daydreamer for hosting Outdoor Wednesday every week.

I first made a few photos of flowers in my yard...

Lovely Star Gazers. I just love these lilys. I must plant more this fall.

It was raining when we woke up this morning. I love the water droplets that the rain left all over the flowers.

A pretty snap dragon looking flower that I planted from seed for my grandma. She lived with my mom and was not able to plant her garden the last year she was alive. DH and I were engaged at the time. We planted her garden for her. She asked me to plant these flower seeds for her. She died a few months later. My mom later had me bring some of the plants to my house. They come back every year. I have no idea what they are called and have not had any luck finding out.

Anyone else know? They are pretty. They bloom in the spring and in the fall. Reseed and seem to be either a biannual or a perennial. They replant well. Rarely bloom in the heat of mid summer. But as the temps warm in the spring or cool in the late summer/early fall, they begin to bloom again.

Now for the walk....

Don't you just love Magnolias? I do.
And here in the Deep South, the trees are full of their blooms.


I love the center of this one.


Pink Lemonade Honeysuckle is a popular site around mail boxes. I have never tasted the nectar of the blooms. I wonder if they taste as good as the regular wild Honeysuckle?

I just love Hydrangeas, don't you? I have tried growing them many times, but the voles (a mouse looking critter) and moles keep eating the roots. So I have found it is cheaper to enjoy the neighbors.

And back home again in my own yard...

I do not remember what this is called. I mail ordered it at least 16 years ago. The name is in one of my garden journals, that is when I kept garden journals.... The root goes to China. I love the flower. Very hardy perennial.

I hope you enjoyed my walk. To participate in Outdoor Wednesday or to see more Outdoor Wednesday posts go to Susan's blog A Southern DayDreamer.

23 comments:

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Melissa! Oh my...what gorgeous blooms! The magnolia and hydrangea....swoon... my hydrangeas are just starting to get their buds/blooms! Thanks for sharing your photos.~ Susan

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Lovely photos from your walk. Thanks for sharing your pics. Happy OW.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

What gorgeous flowers, I would love to have magnolias. Cindy

Amy said...

Beautiful blooms and a lovely post.

amy@maisonbelle

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Melissa, these shots are just breathtaking! I love how you caught the pods in those magnolias, and I think your grandmother's flower is a snap of some sort.

Happy OW!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Unknown said...

These pictures are amazing.. I love the close ups of the flowers or anything really. thanks for sharing and have a great day tomorrow.

Martha said...

Beautiful pictures -- love flowers.

ellen b said...

I really did enjoy taking this walk with you. Beautiful photos of gorgeous flowers!! Happy O.W.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your pictures are just beautiful. Such gorgeous flowers. Have a wonderful day.

Light and Voices said...

Exellent photograph of the center of a magnolia bloom. Wowza!
Joyce

Sue said...

Hi Melissa,
What beautiful blooms you have, and the plant that was your grandmothers is so pretty, and I wish I knew what it was. How amazing that you have a flower that comes back every year to remind you of her, i think that is so awesome. Thank you for sharing, you did an amazing job with your photography.
Sue

Maryrose said...

Thanks for the walk. Your flowers are stunning and your pictures captured it all beautifully. Thanks for sharing.
Maryrose

Patty said...

What beautiful flowers! The orange one at the end looks exactly what my Mom always called a "Butterfly Weed". I doubt that's much help, but wanted to mention it. I remember the one my granny had when I was little was often covered in butterflies and bees.

Kitty Scraps said...

Good Morning Melissa,
You sure can tell who the pros are when it comes to pictures, yours are beautiful! So crisp and clear and the subject matter doesn't hurt either *smiles* What beautiful flowers!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow you've captured the beauty of these flowers excellently. My fave is the stargazer with raindrops.

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!
Li

abeachcottage said...

i am in hydrangea love at the moment so I particularly loved seeing pics of those

love the stargazer too though, infact it is all gorgeous!

happy outdoor wed

Sarah

Love Bears All Things said...

Its always fun to go for a walk in someone else's neighborhood. The flowers are all so beautiful. I like seeing the different things growing in different areas of the country. Of course, you and I are both in the South.
Mama Bear

Becky K. said...

I did not know honeysuckle could be pink! Thanks for the new knowledge.

Everything looks great in your garden.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Love hydrangeas and lilies. But for some reason, I don't have either in my garden. Such heirloom old-fashioned standbys should be in everyone's garden.
Brenda

Patty said...

Thanks for coming by my site! I was nervous joining in on this the first time. You're welcome about the Butterfly Weed comment! I Googled it after I posted and was surprised to find that was the actual name of it LOL. How funny. It's too pretty to be called a weed on purpose. I hope yours are covered in butterflies all summer. :)

Kathy said...

Your blooms are so beautiful and your photography stunning, we have stargazers but should get more, they are so gorgeous. happy OW, Kathy.

sunnymama said...

What a gorgeous selection of beautiful flowers! The hydrangeas are my favourite :)