Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cypress Fern

Otherwise known as Morning Glory Quamoclit pennata from the Convolvulaceae family.




For many many years, this Morning Glory was spread by passing out seeds over a neighbor's fence. In a way, that is sort'of how I got mine. While walking one day, I saw it all over a mail box. I asked the owner of the house about the plant. "May I have a cutting or one of the seedlings?" He explained it does not root and the seedlings will not transplant. But, in the fall, or as I see seed pods, take as much as I want.


I have this growing on my mailbox and now, through out my yard. It prefers full sun and anything it can climb on. Mine has bright red blooms. You can also get it in pink and white. In the bottom photo it is coming up volunteer and intertwined with some vincas and weeds.

Many times a year someone will stop by and ask for cuttings, seedlings, etc. I tell them the same thing the man told me. I also keep a baggy of seeds just to give away.

I really need to use my micro lens on a day when it is not windy! This is a tiny flower. BTW, humming birds like them too! And they will buzz you as you photograph the flower.

9 comments:

cherry said...

Those are gorgeous.......one of God's greatest gifts...love the red. cherry

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

I`m asking to all the Bloggers to support our dear FRIEND Mandy!
Please do come over, and DO LEAVE A COMMENT!

Kisses
Debbie Moss

Thanks so much for your SUPPORT!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Those are beautiful and I don't think I have ever seen them before! I bet seeing them all over is breath-taking!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and it's lovely that you keep a bag of seeds to share!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

I love this vine looks so delicate but so hardy.... the hummingbirds like it also...... your flowers are so pretty mine isn't that thick...
HUgs
Linda

The Vintage Kitten said...

Hello, Thankyou so much for your support and lovely comment left on Debbies blog. Everyone has been so kind and I appreciate the time you took to pop over to my friends blog to leave a message. Hopefully the person concerned will get bored. Ive been to the ladies blog you mentioned but didnt like to leave a message there as her problem blogger will probably get a kick from being talked about so I am going to answer on Debbies blog and then ask her to take a look there as I would like to thank her too. Take Care Mandy X

Dawn said...

What a beautiful little flower! I wish I could get some seeds from you. Our problem with flowers is that we planted so many trees and bushes that we have very little direct sun left in our yard!

Love Bears All Things said...

THanks for sharing this. I'm glad you mentioned the Hummingbirds. My Dad called it a Hummingbird vine but we have since learned it's true name. It is very invasive and prolific. I believe it blooms only in the Fall here.
Mama Bear

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

OOOOO...I need some of those then. We have humming birds and I would like to attract more to our home. They are beautiful...Sandy